|Futuristic Alpha Project|
|Theme||Science Fiction, Futuristic|
|Updated||02 Dec 2015|
|Licensing||MIT Assets: CC-BY|
|Interface||HTML5, Keyboard, Mouse|
|Official site of Ganymede Gate|
This game has been deprecated in favor of the new version. A new page will be done soon-ish.
Ganymede Gate is a multiplayer roguelike set in a solar system human base that has been invaded by a mysterious presence.
Alpha can be downloaded form itch.io <- New version
Alpha can be downloaded form itch.io <- Old, deprecated version
Content so far
- 4 types of monsters: the drone (letter **d**), the monsta (letter **m**), the tracer (letter **t**), and the new squad based AI Marine.
- Several classes with different start attributes and weapons/items.
- 3 types of level generators: crumbling base, caves and lava lake.
- Marine class starts with a randomly generated weapon based on the MP9 sub machine gun.
- Several powerups-weapons to explore.
Multiple AI enemies on a simple map showing the new squad based AI (Complete youtube video can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fmOSi7otyU )
Level types so far (FOV extended to show off the levels)
You can use WASD-Cursor-Vikeys to move:
q w e HOME UP PGUP y k u \ | / \ | / \ | / a- x -d LEFT-- 5 --RIGHT h- . -l / | \ / | \ / | \ z s c END DOWN PGDN b j n
The center keys are for waiting. Shift augments movement with jumping or bashing (if a monster gets on the way). Bashing knockbacks enemies.
- F: Fire. Hit again to pick the nearest target.
- Shift + F: Secondary fire. Hit f to pick the nearest target.
- G: Grab whatever is on the floor.
- R: Reload.
- Shift + R: Secondary reload.
- I: Toggle inventory.
- V: Toggle look mode.
- Space: Activate (levers and stairs for now only). Use item on inventory screen.
- Sometimes secondary fire doesn't gets correctly tigerred.
- Unsolvable levels. Reserve some explosive weapons for these cases.
- General bugginess you would expect from an alpha release.
- No need for downloads, play directly from browser
- Multiplayer possible but not required
- Different play modes: Turn-based, Deadline turn-based and Continuous turn-based
- New level generators
- Alternate fire for weapons
- Jumping, shoving with shift + movement
- Item generator with multiple variations for each one, ranging from a few variations for simple items, to thousands of variations for complex weapons.
- Changed the terminal renderer to a WebGL backend
The game was developed form the start to be server based. The client is just a dumb terminal with little to no logic whatsoever. All player and npc commands are processed on the server and then results are sent back to each player, but only if their Area-of-Interest (AoI) covers the results. Communication between the client and the server is all done via JSON messages (with the server->client channel being compressed with ZLib) with a very straightforward and readable format.
The reference client, implemented on HTML5, is meant to be one of the many ways to play the game, with planned Unity port for Android and (if funds permit) iPhone.
The game will include several game modes, so you can vary the experience you and the other players get from each of the servers:
- Players vs. NPCs
- Free-for-all deathmatch
- Capture the flag
- Quest mode (with a random main quest line)
Player selection screen, still needs stats and perks/abilities
Being ambushed by three strong enemies with a crappy weapon equipped
Memory lane (old screenshots)
Being ambushed by a "Monsta" and a "Tracer" NPC (Canvas rederer)
Leaving the game open for 2 days after dying, carnage ensues on a lava pool (Canvas renderer)
River with bridges (Really Old, table renderer)