|Influences||ToME, Brogue, Dungeons of Dredmor, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Oddworld|
|Released||July 18, 2019|
|Licensing||Engine: MIT License, Content: Closed source|
|Platforms||Mac, Windows, Linux|
|Interface||Keyboard or Mouse|
|Official site of Possession|
Possession (formerly called Possession 2) is a traditional turn-based roguelike where you play as a ghost trying to make your way to the surface. You are incredibly frail, but have one advantage: you can possess the bodies of the monsters you encounter, and use their strength and abilities as your own. Hop from body to body as you attempt to make it back to the surface.
Sequel to/remake of the 7DRL Possession: Escape from the Nether Regions. Was originally called Possession 2, but the 2 was dropped during development.
- Dozens of possessable monsters, from the horrifying to the hilarious, with a wide variety of powers.
- Special themed levels with unique hazards, creatures and layouts. Level creation is more varied than in most roguelikes.
- Item-less gameplay. The dead have no need for worldly possessions, they just slow you down.
- Quick to pick up and play.
- Entirely playable with just the keyboard, just the mouse, or a combination of the two.
- Mod support! Add your own creatures, powers and special levels, or change the ones already there.
- Choice between ASCII or Graphical mode.
A version of the engine by the name Roguelove is available. This version of the engine will be updated more features than are used in Possession (such as items), and is again offered under the MIT license.