|Break Out Of Hareka's Underground|
|Influences||Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, Brogue|
|Released||2017 Sep 16 (0.1)|
|Updated||2018 Dec 19 (0.12)|
|Platforms||Linux, BSD, Windows, Mac, Browser|
|Interface||ASCII, Graphical tiles|
|Game Length||~ half an hour|
|Official site of Break Out Of Hareka's Underground|
Break Out Of Hareka's Underground (Boohu) is a turn-based coffee-break roguelike game with a heavy focus on tactical positioning mechanisms. This focus strongly influenced its weapon attack patterns, consumables and terrain features. Aiming for a replayable streamlined experience, the game avoids manual inventory management and complex character building, relying on items and player adaptability for character progression.
Every year, the elders send someone to collect medicinal simella plants in the Underground. This year, the honor fell upon you, and so here you are. According to the elders, deep in the Underground, magical stairs will lead you back to your village. Along the way, you will collect simellas, as well as various items that will help you deal with monsters, which you may fight or flee...
- Short coffee-break runs (less than half an hour).
- 8 levels deep dungeon (+ 3 optional levels), 6 distinct map generators, 26 monsters, 15 weapons with different behaviors, 7 armours, 4 shields, 13 rods, 16 potions, and 6 projectiles.
- Both graphical tiles (web or Tk) and terminal ASCII versions. Animations. Mouse support. Mouse-friendly 100x26 layout, and traditional compact 80x24 layout. Automatic recording for later replay.
- No XP, no food, no upstairs, no automatic regeneration, no grinding/farming.
- Fully destructible terrain (wall destruction, foliage fire).
- Simplified inventory management (e.g. no more than one weapon or armour).
- Gain 2 random aptitudes among 14 as you go deeper.
- Dense foliage and automatically opened/closed doors to play with line of sight.
- 4 distinct magical stones that have a magical effect when a creature standing on them is hurt.
- Confusion status based on this tavern thread that impedes diagonal movement, and other more common statuses.
- Noise, and monster footsteps sometimes can be heared.
- Rods: merge ideas from mana-based magic and charge-based wands or rods.