Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
|Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup|
|Developer||Stone Soup Team|
|Released||2006 Sep 20th (?)|
|Updated||2016 November 1st (0.19)|
|Licensing||GNU General Public License|
|P. Language||C++, Lua|
|Platforms||Linux, Windows, Mac, Web, Android|
|Interface||ASCII or graphical|
|Game Length||2-6 hours (three runes)
12-48 hours (all runes)
|Official site of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup|
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a variant of Linley's Dungeon Crawl. It is developed openly and welcomes participation from the community.
As in the original Dungeon Crawl, players are tasked with finding runes to enter the Realm of Zot at the bottom of the dungeon, before returning to the surface with the Orb of Zot. For added difficulty, players can attempt to collect all 15 runes scattered throughout the dungeon.
As outlined in DCSS's design philosophy, the developers strive to create a balanced, tactical game that limits grinding and reliance on out-of-game sources of information in order to progress. The resulting game is more friendly to new players while still requiring a good deal of practice and skill to win.
- ASCII and tileset versions
- Mouse support
- Online servers where players can watch other games or compete on leaderboards
- Tutorial and in-game hints system
- Wide range of skills, species, backgrounds, and religions offer several play styles
- Optional dungeon branches increase the difficulty for seasoned players
- The Tavern - Official forum
- Trunk releases - Up-to-date development versions
- The Dawn of Stone Soup - Overview of DCSS development
- Crawl and Stone Soup's IRC chatroom
- Live game list
- Development blog
- LearnDB lookup - Reference for in-game creatures and items, including notes from players
- Stone Soup Wiki
- 13 Steps To Crawl (Introduction) - Beware that it not up to date for the latest stable release of DCSS
- DCSS: Circus Animals Circus Animals variant.