IRDC London 2012
* Place: London, UK * Time: June 2nd-3rd, 2012 * Venue: Imperial College London * Venue Contact: Darren Grey * Discussion: QuakeNet #rgrd, RogueTemple, RGRD
- Darren Grey firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0)770 929 3627
- Ido Yehieli email@example.com, +43 (0)664 5585 708
- Kevin Glass firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 (0)7794 453 8521
- Alex May email@example.com, +44 (0)7795 257 591
- Mario Lassnig [?]
- DarkGod [?]
- Jeff Lait jmlait snail gmail thing-that-oracle-owns com, $3.50 per minute so it better be important.
- Risto Saarelma [?]
- Michał Walczak [?]
- Craig Turner [?]
- Björn Ritzl firstname.lastname@example.org, +46 (0)704 335333
- Hayden Scott-Baron [?]
- Radomir Dopieralski [?]
- Joris Pyl [?]
- Michael Cook [?]
- SRD [?]
- Andreas Dorn [?]
- Aaron Steed email@example.com
- Ulf ?ström firstname.lastname@example.org
- Darren Grey: Introduction and primer on the Roguelike Rennaisance
- Darren Grey: The Single Hit Point Model
- Ido Yehieli: Why Darren is Wrong About Single Hit-points.
- Björn Ritzl: I might have a talk about developing roguelikes for limited/mobile devices (not sure if it's of any interest or if I really want to yet)
Add your talk here if you wish to give a presentation. Any subject is welcome.
We will likely be doing a special recording or two for the Roguelike Radio podcast. Details to follow.
London is the centre of the world! Its five airports transport the largest number of passengers annually in all city airports combined. Heathrow and Gatwick are easiest for transport to the city centre, but Luton and Stanstead are also options. Those hunting a bargain may wish to check Birmingham Airport paired with a cheap 90 minute train ride to London Euston (trains are booked through http://thetrainline.com - much cheaper in advance). Other England airports may also be options with cheap coaches from MegaBus or National Express. Info on local travel is available at http://tfl.gov.uk - best to get a weekend pass or an Oyster card with 15 quid on it for the weekend.
If you have further questions feel free to ask me directly - I'm happy to help.
There's plenty of places available in London for a range of budgets. Google is your friend. Transport is good all over, so any location would be fine, though sticking is zone 1 or 2 is cheaper for tube travel. Hammersmith would be my best recommendation - lots of buses from there, or the quick tube option. You can frequently find good deals on http://lastminute.co.uk or http://laterooms.com (and in spite of their names they're fine to use in advance). Beware that most places either don't have or charge extra for wireless.
Post here with details of where you're staying or looking at staying - it may be helpful if many are staying in the same place.
Imperial College London - South Kensington Campus, SW7 2AZ. Pretty much exactly here:
Meeting in room 343 of the Huxley building (no 13 on this map). Access is through Queen's Gate Road (the main entrance on Exhibition Road will be closed). Due to security restrictions at weekends we're best meeting first in the Library cafe off Imperial College Road and I can guide everyone to the meeting room.
Wifi: Those affiliated with universities will be able to log on to the Eduroam system. For others I'll try and set up a hotspot from my phone (logged on to the local wireless), but I can't promise it'll be fast. There are paid wifi services available for those particularly in need of a good connection.
Nearest tube station is South Kensington on the District and Piccadilly lines. Very central and easy to get to. Buses from all parts of the city also stop nearby.
There's lots to do in the area for after the conference, including the (free) Natural History Museum and Museum of Science next door. And it's London, so there's loads to do and see and places to eat in general. You may want to make an extended weekend of it if you're interested in some serious tourism. It's also a long bank holiday weekend for England (Monday and Tuesday off), which generally makes for a nice atmosphere.
Equipment & Supplies
- Projector will be set up in the room.
- Camcorder: ?
- Tripod: ?
- Food: Lots of places to go nearby.
Refreshments required/desired: I'll arrange for refreshments for the room. Post here with any requests for specific drinks/snacks. - Darren Grey
How we get there and back and where to meet up
Post your own info here and check back for updates.
I live nearby and will be available all day Friday to Monday. Happy to meet up at whatever time suits others. - Darren Grey
Post questions here with your name.