|Released||Apr 03, 2008 (?)|
|Updated||Jul 20, 2010 (2.0)|
|Interface||tiles or graphical ASCII, keyboard|
|Game Length||6 hours?|
|Official site of Mage Guild|
Take on the role of a skilled and daring apprentice of the Nahelan Mage Guild. Delve through countless dark halls, gathering troves of hidden knowledge and gaining power; battle hordes of deadly enemies that will test the limits of your power and wit; and if you're very lucky and very skilled, emerge into the light of day again, a full master in the Mage Guild.
Mage Guild is a game by Nahjor of Lukos Software. The goal is for the player to get through 15 levels of the dungeon and escape while collecting orbs of knowledge along the way in order to strengthen themselves for the challenges ahead.
The newest version is 2.0.3 and the game is unfortunately no longer developed. While the official site of Lukos Software was abandoned, the game can still be downloaded from the Internet Archive backup here.
The game features both ASCII mode and tile graphics, and can boast the following unique features and mechanics:
- 50 highly distinct spells divided into 5 spell schools,
- a leveling system based on progress through the dungeon rather than kills,
- a good degree of flexibility with character building,
- an alchemy system in which nearly any two items can be combined in some useful way,
- a map editor for creating and sharing custom creatures and maps.