A very common type of magical item found in roguelikes is the potion. Potions tend to have the following characteristics:
- Their descriptions are randomized each game and they typically are described by color.
- There may be a few unrandomized potion types, such as a Clear Potion always being water.
- They are single-use items.
- They require no skill to use.
- They are vulnerable to cold.
- They provide some (usually small) amount of food value.
It is also fairly common to allow potions to be changed through some system of alchemy. Those considering such a system should be warned that this can be one of those things that is very difficult to make not be either useless or overpowered.