Random name generation
There are a lot of different ways to tackle random name generation. There are games, such as ADOM, that simply pick a random name from a hard coded list, however, what many developers pursue is a generator that will procedurally generate an arbitrarily large number of names that will:
- be pronounceable
- have an adequate "feel"
Many attempts have been made to write such generators, and different approaches have been used. Markov chains are one of the methods that have been used, although methods involving bigger data blocks, such as syllables or even entire words, have proven to be easier to manage. The articles listed below refer to the subject of random name generation.
- Markov chains-based name generation
- Markov chains name generator in Python
- Finite state name generator
- Syllable-based name generation
- Cluster chaining name generator
- Names from a high order Markov Process and a simplified Katz back-off scheme