|Developer||Tangar Igroglaz, PowerWyrm, Serega88|
|Updated||on 10th May 2022|
Tangaria – multiplayer roguelike game (MMO-roguelike) inspired by Tolkien’s lore. Action goes during The Fourth Age: Morgoth awakened, in Middle-Earth there are opened rifts to the other dimensions and now you need to stop Dagor Dagorath... Defeat Morgoth (again), meet Valars and even pay a visit to Eru Iluvatar in Timeless Halls of the Abyss.
Tangaria combines the complexity and unpredictability of roguelike genre and social features of MMORPG: kill monsters together with your friends, chat, PvP (on demand), buy a house and open a store to trade your goods with other players… with advanced real-time gameplay – game become semi turn-based when your character is injured.
- permadeath. Every adventure – counts. Every death – is an achievement. Every new character – is the happiness of a unique exploration experience.
- absolutely random level generation. You are constantly facing extremely unimaginable gaming situations.
- very high degree of character freedom (loads of ways to act: kick, throw, dig, polymorph, etc)
- destructible dungeon environment – tunnel walls, chop trees, make an earthquake to blast everything around you!
- freedom. Not linear walkthrough of the game. There is even no walkthrough! Go wherever you want; every dive to the dungeon isn’t like previous one!
- perfect Hack’n’Slash experience – all boring auto-attacks your character will make automatically while giving you time to control essential stuff – casting spells and using skills and items. It’s ingenious combat system, you should try and you will be hooked, guaranteed!
- strong anti-powergamer roguelikish concept – it’s just you, your skill, your guts.. and your freedom. Grind won’t help you to survive.
- macro system which makes it’s perfectly alright to play roguelike game in ‘real-time’; any action (including targeting) could be put on a hotkey.
- real-time. But you could assign a certain HP threshold at which game will slow down and become semi turn-based.
- PvE in group. Game has great features for teamplay; the more – the merrier!
- PvP. You could duel with other characters if you will turn on PvP mode.
- Trade, barter, create your own shop. The economy is healthy because a lot of items and gold got washed out from market when characters die (quite often situation).
- Communication. Find friends, create a guild, buy a house, welcome your neighbours..
- …and much more. Game has a lot of tiny beautiful features, for example, feature about artifacts – they are real artifacts. There couldn’t be two ‘Orcrist’ swords. After you found a true artifact, only you at the server have it (and there are mechanics which prevent players from hoarding artifacts without using them).
Extra (special Tangaria’s stuff):
- oldschool graphics or ASCII – you could play in a lot of display modes.
- one character per account. It’s forbidden to have more than one account per person to prevent cheating.
- disconnected stairs. Up/down staircases are ‘not connected’ between levels to prevent stair-scumming.
- food matters. It’s not too easy to obtain food, it could be only found in the dungeon.
- no selling to NPC. It removes boring grind from the game; in return, you get extra gold in the dungeon and could trade with other players.
- rebalanced telepathy & detection: no boring mechanical actions; exploration matters!
- brackets system – prevents boredom cheezy grinding.
- deep storyline based on the unique fantasy universe inspired by Tolkien’s lore.
- beautiful world with handmade locations with inhabitants who will tell you their story.
- sounds, day/night change, Windows/Linux clients;
- diversity: 57 races, 38 classes, 1185 monsters, 32 dungeons, 557 items (multiplied with 122 ego types), 236 unique artifacts, 156 activation properties, 96 item’s parameters… and endless amount hours which you could spend in-game to have a great time!
What the difference between Tangaria and PWMAngband?
Tangaria based at PWMAngband, so it’s got all great PWMA features. Additionally, Tangaria got:
- unique carefully designed hand-made locations
- the most advanced dungeon’s design (it’s not only rooms and corridors)
- advanced graphics with hundreds of new terrain features
- 40+ new races and 20 new classes
- circumspection storyline which continuing Tolkien universe (rebellion against Valars and multi-dimensions!)
- new monsters types (angels, mutants, djinns, fey, unicorns, ents; each type includes several species) and new monsters (several dozens)
- all races rebalanced to remove experience penalty
- NPC system (with a lot of dialogues)
- new dungeons
- rebalanced detection, magic mapping magic and other magic
- customized dungeons brackets system
- rebalanced food system
- strict fair-play (anti-cheating gameplay)
- new items, traps, stores, etc
Tangaria focused to take all the best features from it’s *band ancestors and also get inspiration from other great singleplayer roguelikes like Nethack, DCSS, ToME & others, with the influence of sandbox MMORPGs and MUD’s (text MMORPGs).
- tangaria.com, the official site
- discord.gg/zBNG369, the community hub at Discord
- , Tangaria binaries and data
- , Tangaria source
- , PWMAngband source
- Video streams and tutorials
- Tangaria at itch.io
- Tangaria at Indie DB
- Tangaria at OpenHub
- Tangaria at MobyGames