The Slimy Lichmummy
|The Slimy Lichmummy|
|Developer||Ulf Åström (aka Happy Pony Land)|
|Influences||Ultima Underworld, Deus Ex, Quake, Nethack|
|Platforms||anything with a C compiler|
|Official site of The Slimy Lichmummy|
TSL is a roguelike (in the hack school) with an original cyberpunk/fantasy setting. You start out with a shotgun and a dozen shells, encounter beings like mutated ratmen and chainsaw ogres. Your character improves mostly by replacing body parts with machinery.
Developed since 2006 and fairly complete and stable. Development usually takes place in bursts of a couple creative months followed by long spans of inactivity.
Available as source code or Win32 binary (testers wanted!).
Some defining features:
- Persistent levels, built from manually designed (but randomly chosen) chunks. Non-linear level progression. Currently the dungeon has two main branches that lead to a common endgame. Each level has a distinct look and feel and a different set of enemies.
- Gameplay that discourages grinding. You do not gain experience from kills or regain health by waiting. There is no reason to remain for long on a level - monsters respawn at an increasingly aggressive rate. There is no autoexplore, every level and encounter should be interesting.
- Health is regained by finding medkits or certain potions - no natural regeneration! Health is a finite resource that must be conserved.
- Characters improve by finding and installing augmentations. You are given an a/b choice and the augmentation not chosen is discarded.
- Stealth is very useful. You don't want - and don't need - to pick every fight.
- Unique (?) field of view algorithm that is *not* based on "line of sight". Light "bounces" on walls and lets you see around corners.
- Interface that allows both verb-noun and noun-verb item actions. Items are autoequipped when it makes sense to do so. All keys can be remapped, Dvorak and numpad-enabled layouts included.
- Very quick ranged combat - when playing with vi-keys, shift+direction performs a ranged attack. Dedicated key for quickly cycling different kinds of ammo.
- Unique (?) visual style. Uses only grayscale. Walls are drawn as continuous lines, floors as raster (checkerboard character). An option exists to use traditional '.' floors.
- High difficulty and learning threshold, but tries to be fair and educational. Elaborate death messages - you should always know what killed you and don't do that again.
- Many status modifiers. You (and enemies!) can be poisoned, wounded, stunned, hasted, slowed, flying, blinded and must adapt strategy to this.
- Environmental hazards. You can fly over lava, swim in water or freeze them in some way. Forcefields can be disabled by different means.
- Most items are known and usable, some must be identified to be utilized fully. Random scrolls, potions and wands. Items can interact (e.g. apply a potion of poison on darts to produce poisoned darts).