|Developer||Huw Millward (Huw2k8)|
|Influences||Fallout, Mad Max, Dwarf Fortress, FTL, fable, Elder scrolls|
|Updated||September 29, 2015 (Version 0.8.6)|
|Game Length||Open Ended|
|Official site of The Wastes|
A roguelike where you roam through the procedurally generated wasteland of the ruined world, passing by all manner of monstrosities and wonders as you watch the world decay, Development began on December 13 2014.
In the Wastes you have no goal or aim but to survive, and believe me it's a futile goal, you may grow to become a monstrous mutant, a bandit, a hunter of bandits, a roaming bard, a travelling merchant, a robber, arena fighter or all manner of things with little restriction, as you explore you will gain stats and money, copious amounts of very dynamic loot and great insight into the world.
Exploring the wastes you will find everything from traps to ruined buildings you can explore, you will find peculiar sights and meet many monsters as you battle through the randomly generated regions, occasionally finding towns and traders, or gangs and monsters. There is no real way to win the wastes but there are many secrets hidden in the game and more content than you could hope to find in 1000 hours of playtime, it's quite addictive and the frustration of dying is usually forgotten leaving you wanting more.
- Millions of weapons, from a Sharp Spiked Arm-Brace to an Atomic Silver Katana there are more weapons than you can count
- Billions of items, from the bizarre to the amazing, you can find items prime coat hangers, rotting toes and Imperial gold bars
- Player Moddability, add your own items, menu greetings, books, npc names and so much more! share them with us too!
- Functional items, rollable dices, smokable bongs, readable books and tons more!
- Dynamic Books, you can find books in all kinds of conditions, some will have pages missing and other will be autographed or special edition
- Mutations, muddled up at the start of each game vials and random events will have you mutating in many ways, grow and extra leg, special skin and much more! "mutate and thrive"
- Millions of Monsters, a plethora of nuclear nasties, from radiated king pigs to headless tribal warriors, you will find many things
- over 1000 random events, you will always find new encounters that you haven't seen before keeping the game fresh and opening your eyes to new bizarre things
- Randomly generated dungeons, delve through labs, ruins, caves, mines and more!
- Randomly generated fight moves, discover special fight moves with random effects
- Randomly generated bard music, encounter bards in the wastes with completely random (albeit crappy) music
- and so much more!
Entered into the main menu these will give you special cheats, not required but they do add a new element to the game, mostly added for testing they are there to allow the player to play around
13 - welp edition - sets players hp to 50 and stats to 1 26 - iguana bill edition - turns the player into iguana bill 31 - coward edition - sets players hp and stats higher 66 - deadman edition - sets players hp to 10 and stats all to 1 33 - Perky edition - 10 35 - super perky edition - 100 perks per level 101 - level 1 forever edition - pretty much impossible to level up 108 - Garry Edition - All npcs are named garry 999 - drugged test - runs the drugged effect 1337 - LEET edition - sets players hp and stats super high 1007 - LOOT edition - lots more loot 555 - $$$ edition - gives you $1'000'000 5555 - $$$$ edition - gives you $100'000'000
Development began on December 13 2014 as a small project that was after very little work dropped, the other roguelike game Warsim was worked on in it's place and very little attention was given to the wastes until it was picked up a few months later and worked on prolifically developing it at an alarming rate before the development speed began to burn out and slow down again by september.
A detailed view of the games changelogs can be found on reddit.