|Developer||DarkGod, various Dark Priests|
|Released||1998 Oct 24 (2010 May 11 for ToME 4)|
|Updated||Nov 3 2014 (version 1.2.5)|
|Licensing||Open Source, GPL3|
|Platforms||Windows,Unix,Mac OS X,...?|
|Interface||ASCII, OpenGL, Keyboard, Mouse|
|Game Length||12-24 hours|
|Official site of T.o.M.E.|
T.o.M.E. stands for Tales of Maj'Eyal (previously Tales of Middle Earth).
It was previously known as PernAngband but changed its name. ToME has its roots in Angband (it was a Zangband 2.2.0 variant at its inception) but has since been completly rewritten from scratch for 4.0.0 version and is now its own game. As of ToME 4.0.0 beta 14 it no longer uses a Tolkien setting, and instead has its own original high fantasy setting and story.
The latest versions have been split into a game engine called T-Engine and a game module which is the thing players actually call ToME. At least one version of ToME 2, the current Angband variant, is maintained by others.
The goal is to allow anyone to create her/his own game without the hassle of coding all the annoying bits, and in the case where nothing too fancy is needed to do so without coding any scripts.
Some notable ToME features (but far from the only ones):
- Graphical tiles, music and sound effects (all optional)
- Skill points based character progression organised into talent trees
- Activated combat abilities with cooldowns and resource management
- Runes and infusions with cooldowns instead of traditional potions and scrolls
- Freeform quests (only very few obligatory quests)
- Special levels
- Multiple dungeons and towns with a large wilderness
- Schools of magic-based spell system
- Lots of very different races, subraces, classes and class specialization
- Numerous initially locked races and classes, with varying degrees of challenge to unlock
- Lua scripted
- Support for modules
For version 4.x.x it has a new homepage, a wiki, a forum, a site for its engine and a dev blog. Forums for versions 2 and 3 are also on this page. Bardur Arantsson continues to maintain a version of ToME 2 since 2.3.5, and it has a source site.