|Developer||DarkGod, various Dark Priests|
|Influences||Tolkien, Anne McCaffrey|
|Released||Oct 24 1998 (May 11 2010 for ToME 4)|
|Updated||February 20 2016 (version 1.4.4)|
|Licensing||Open Source, GPL3|
|Platforms||Windows,Unix,Mac OS X|
|Interface||ASCII, OpenGL, Keyboard, Mouse|
|Game Length||12-24 hours|
|Official site of T.o.M.E.|
Tales of Maj'Eyal, more commonly known as ToME or ToME4, is an open-source fantasy roguelike. Development first began in 1998 as PernAngband, a Pern-inspired Angband variant, then later became known as Tales of Middle Earth. With the release of ToME4 in 2010, the game was rewritten entirely, complete with an original high fantasy setting and storyline.
ToME runs on T-Engine, a game engine developed by DarkGod which provides several useful features for developers writing their own roguelikes. T-Engine also supports third-party addons to ToME.
In 2013 ToME was greenlit and is now available for purchase on Steam, one year later it was released on GOG.com , though the game remains free for download on the official website (with in-game special features for donators).
- Graphical tiles, music and sound effects
- Mouse control
- Multiple game modes and difficulties, with the option of playing in traditional permadeath mode, an adventure mode with limited lives, or exploration mode with unlimited lives
- Skill point based character progression organised into talent trees
- Combat abilities with cooldowns and resource management
- Ingame chat system
- Freeform questing
- Many unlockable races, subraces, classes and class specialization
- Support for modules and addons through Lua