|Developer||C. Blue, Mikael, Adam, Relsiet (Runes), Moltor (Arcade)|
|Updated||Jan 01 2011 (4.4.6b)|
TomeNET is a multiplayer rogue-like, somewhat similar to MAngband and ToME. It was created around 2001, as a fork of MAngband which got some ToME design added to it, which was done by DarkGod, Evileye and Jir. Zz, Tanix and C. Blue also contributed code, and after the original development team dropped out one by one over the course of the following two years, C. Blue became the only active maintainer of the project. Two more years later, he formed a new development team which was joined by Mikael and Adam, and later on by infamous Moltor who created a fast-paced arcade shooter variant. In 2009, Relsiet joined the developers when he suggested a detailed plan for a rework of the Runemaster class, of which he has been in charge since then, assisted by Kurzel for testing and balancing it.
The TomeNET servers are hosted kindly by the grace of Fizz, an employee of a french company which provides line capacity, a secure environment and a dedicated server just for the TomeNET project.
The game is one of the most advanced rogue-likes technically, featuring day/night changes, four seasons, weather, sound effects and dynamic background music, and apart from the source code currently offers binaries for Microsoft Windows and Linux.
It is also feared for being quite hard and unforgiving, in which so-called "cheezing" (describes the transfer of money and items from high-level characters to low-level characters without anything in return) will quickly lead to one's demise since it will simply help dulling the target player's skills.
The game has a full-fledged documentation called "The TomeNET Guide", which is a text file available in the ZIP file downloads or as direct download, and also as an online HTML version here http://www.tomenet.net/guide.php.
- Day/night changes
- Four seasons
- Sound effects and dynamic background music
- Normal server and ironman rules server (dubbed 'RPG server')
- Various character modes, including: Traditional rogue-like (one life), MAngband-style (infinite resurrections), PvP-mode among others
- Automatically scheduled special events
- Focus on multiplayer PvE balance with the main boss (Morgoth) scaling with party size
- Players may create artifacts if they have the required ressources
- Post-king gameplay: Characters that have beaten the main boss, Morgoth, may venture into another insanely dangerous dungeon to try and find the last remaining path to Valinor, to possibly retire on its shores
- Over 200 static artifacts, infinite random artifacts, over 200 special item powers, over 1000 items, over 1100 monsters and many 'ego monster' types ie variations of base monsters
- Multiple towns and a rich world map with lots of completely different types of dungeons spread out over it
- Parties and guilds, which feature shared houses and internal chat
- Skill system allowing for specialization
- 16 distinct races and 13 classes to choose from
- Over 200 types of floor features/terain
- Many special stores in towns (Casino) and dungeons; dungeon towns (in a special ironman competition dungeon)
- Powerful macro system, featuring a wizard that makes macro creation easily done in three steps even by beginners.