|Developer||C. Blue, Mikael, Adam, Relsiet (Runes), Moltor (Arcade)|
|Updated||Jan 01 2011 (4.4.6b)|
TomeNET is a multiplayer rogue-like, somewhat similar to MAngband and ToME. It was created around 2001, as a fork of MAngband which got some ToME design added to it, which was done by DarkGod, Evileye and Jir. Zz, Tanix and C. Blue also contributed code, and after the original development team dropped out one by one over the course of the following two years, C. Blue became the only active maintainer of the project. Two more years later, he formed a new development team which was joined by Mikael and Adam, and later on by infamous Moltor who created a fast-paced arcade shooter variant. In 2009, Relsiet joined the developers when he suggested a detailed plan for a rework of the Runemaster class, of which he has been in charge since then, assisted by Kurzel for testing and balancing it.
The TomeNET servers are hosted kindly by the grace of Fizz, an employee of a french company which provides line capacity, a secure environment and a dedicated server just for the TomeNET project.
The game is one of the most advanced rogue-likes technically, featuring day/night changes, four seasons, weather, sound effects and dynamic background music, and apart from the source code currently offers binaries for Microsoft Windows and Linux.
It is also feared for being quite hard and unforgiving, in which so-called "cheezing" (describes the transfer of money and items from high-level characters to low-level characters without anything in return) will quickly lead to one's demise since it will simply help dulling the target player's skills.
The game has a full-fledged documentation called "The TomeNET Guide", which is a text file available in the ZIP file downloads or as direct download, and also as an online HTML version here http://www.tomenet.net/guide.php.
- Day/night changes
- Four seasons
- Sound effects and dynamic background music
- Normal server and ironman rules server (dubbed 'RPG server')
- Various character modes, including: Traditional rogue-like (one life), MAngband-style (infinite resurrections), PvP-mode for killing each other off in the game world or in a special PvP arena
- Allow non-PvP mode chars to still fight each other in friendly duels that won't kill the player who loses
- Automatically scheduled special events
- Players may create artifacts if they have the required resources
- Post-king gameplay: Characters that have beaten the main boss, Morgoth, may venture into another insanely dangerous dungeon to try and find the last remaining path to Valinor, to possibly retire on its shores
- Over 200 static artifacts, infinite random artifacts, over 200 special item powers, over 1000 items, over 1100 monsters and many 'ego monster' types ie variations of base monsters
- Over 200 types of floor features/terrain
- Multiple towns and a rich world map with lots of completely different types of dungeons spread out over it
- Parties and guilds, which feature shared houses and internal chat
- 16 distinct races and 13 classes to choose from
- Skill system allowing for specialization, for example put your rogue's emphasis into being a hideous backstabber, a user of shadowy magic, or an infamous shoplifter who even steals items from the black market without being caught ..most of the time.
- Class and race specific special abilities such as "Cloaking Mode" for rogues
- Rich variety of shape-shifting classes and features
- Very broad possibilities of creating hybrid classes that allow for unusual combinations of abilities and skills
- Many special stores in towns (Casino) and dungeons; dungeon towns (in a special ironman competition dungeon)
- Powerful macro system, featuring a wizard that makes macro creation easily done in three steps even by beginners.
- Dual-wielding of 1-handed weapons for certain extra combat boni if you choose to forego heavy armour
- Parrying and blocking with weapons and shields respectively
- Different combat stances, special melee and ranged techniques that cost "stamina" to use
- Advanced commands for handling certain tasks without annoyances, such as 'x' which combines wear/wield and take-off in a special manner
- Different types of monster AI regarding movement and combat that will result in challenging behaviour