|Theme||Science Fiction, Futuristic|
|Released||2006 Oct 25|
|Updated||2010 Nov 21 (0.73)|
|Licensing||Open Source, Freeware|
|Official site of MetroidRL|
- Nonlinear advancement: You must explore the base in order to overcome the different obstacles you will find.
- No experience levels: All advancement is based on the suit upgrades you find
- Tactical Combat: Use your available suit upgrades wisely
- Randomly generated levels
- 2.5D, a simulation of 3D on a 2D space
- Samus suit and enemies based on the Metroid series
- Use Spacebar to fire your beam, 'Ctrl' to autofire, 'z' to jump, and '2' to Charge.
- If you get lost on the screen, use 's' to identify the icons.
- Use F1 or '?' to bring up the help screen
- Shoot the enemies to destroy them and recover energy and weapons.
- When you reach the base, you can go through any of four elevators. Each one leads to a different area of the base. Use the base Decks as a recovery area if needed.
Contact with Galactic Federation Weaponry Research Facility "Janus IV" was lost 3 days ago. Three Scout ships sent over to scan the surroundings have been shot down and a disruption field has covered the area surrounding the base, preventing long-range scanners from detecting any further activity.
Galactic Commander Adam Ring, appointed operations chief for the base, has been judged as a rebel to the federation and must be taken into a martial trial.
The base was built over a plasma shaft that goes deep into the planet; spontaneous bursts of plasma energy have been detected on the stratosphere of the planet, indicating possible activity from the base. Also, a class V unidentified spacecraft landed on the base 1 day ago.
Intergalactic Bounty Hunter Samus Aran, you have been assigned a mission: to land on the planet, infiltrate the base and recover sensitive weapon research data. You have been allowed to neutralize any resistance found, including rogue federation personnel.
You are also to recover secret weaponry research sensitive material, which was under development over the four different areas of the base:
* ATO: Nuclear Research Facility * BAC: Biological War Research * CHE: Toxic Refinery * GEN: Genetics Research Lab
You board your gunship and begin your journey to the planet
MetroidRL requires Sun Java 1.6.0 or higher, which is probably already installed on your computer. Get Java Now!
MetroidRL was an entry for the Orange October Minigun 7DRL Contest 2006. It then saw some development during 2010. It's currently open-source at 
- See other Java Roguelikes