|Company||Mozilla (and others)|
|Influences||C, Java, Python|
|Updated||March 22, 2011 (1.8.5)|
- Use jsLint to avoid many mistakes that are normally caught by a compiler
- Take advantage of Firebug for Firefox, the Web Inspector for Chrome and Safari and the Developer Tools in Internet Explorer (version 8 and above)
- Full IDEs are available including Microsoft Visual Studio Web Developer Express, Aptana and NetBeans.
- Scripting languages usually have a faster feedback loop between development and viewing the changes.
- Closures are a powerful language construct that can simplify application structure and enhance readability.
- Any user with a modern browser (on any platform) can run your game.
- A whole new world of easy-to-access graphical possibilities with the DOM or <canvas>.
- Working in a dynamic and garbage collected language takes a lot of the pain out of strong typing and memory management.
- Well supported serialization of data structures using JSON.
- Emerging HTML5 standards provide support for local storage of data.
- Emerging web application stores, such as the Google Chrome Store, provide a distribution platform.
- Many errors that are caught at compile-time in a strongly typed language will be caught at run-time.
- Full file system access requires additional plugins.
HTML and CSS
The collection of web standards that is sometimes loosely referred to as HTML offers a multitude of methods to interface with the user.
HTML, CSS and the DOM (Document Object Model)
Canvas 2D context
Canvas WebGL context
The WebGL context of the <canvas> element is a later invention that appeared in 2006 at Mozilla. It is an API based on OpenGL ES 2.0, and it was designed to make hardware graphics acceleration accessible to web content. It was designed with 3D rendering in mind, and as such implements a more complex interface than Canvas 2D.
SVG and its DOM
- Cave of Epokothar (HTML5 and Canvas)
- DungeonEpic A roguelike game and Roguelike builder that runs in the browser
- Gone Rogue
- Rogue Fable III
- Rogue Sector 7DRL
- Ruins of Kal Raman (HTML5 and Canvas) 7DRL
- Saege (not yet released)
- The Seven Day Quest 7DRL
- Succession 7DRL
- Wayward βeta